Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Back in the Classroom...




It's that time of year again... time for reuniting with old photographer friends, making new ones, free dinners every night, free FUN every night, and learning tons of new photography 'revelations' and techniques from some of the premier photography instructors in the country. That's right, it's late April which means I'm at Texas School again here at the Texas A&M campus in College Station.

BTW, for all you Aggies out there, could someone please coherently tell me with a straight face what in the world "Gig'em" means? And while you're at it, what's with the "Whoop!" every time you mention the school name. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for school spirit, but honestly I'm confused when I'm supposed to say "gig'em", "whoop", so I find myself waffling between the two and simply mumbling "gig-a-whoop" in embarrassment.

Where was I... oh, yeah... Texas School. This really is one of my favorite times of the year. Being around and in class with fellow photographers for a week is an amazing experience. Now, I know what you're probably thinking, 'A thousand photographers hanging out for five days talking about f-stops, ISOs, Rembrandt lighting, dragging the shutter, etc... wow, must be a real party'. I'm always amazed, though, about how much fun this conference is. Think about it, a thousand people who are paid to be creative know how to have a good time.

For example, where else do you get to take part in armadillo races?


Seriously, though, this week is a blast, and these are some of the friendliest people you could ever meet. One of the things I love most about the photographers who come here is that everybody's very open and willing to share tips, tricks and strategies to help each other grow. It's not like some professions where everybody's very territorial and secretive about what they're doing. People helping people is the name of the game, and photographers - especially those at Texas School - are a picture of that (no pun intended... well, sort of).

Okay, gotta run... I'm off to meet up with my classmates for our final night of free food and good times.

Here's an image of one of the couples from the Aggie Wrangler dancers from last night's event. Amazing stuff - country dancing on steroids!


Oh, yeah... "gig-a-whoop'em". Or something like that.

No comments: